1. Commuting to and from work IS training. Ride the long way home, meet a friend or both.
2. Don't make excuses. You are not made out of sugar, you won't dissolve so even if it's raining get out there.
3. Your support base is key mums, dads, friends, kids and wives. Giving back is just as important to getting.
4. It's NEVER too early in the morning to train. If your family love to sleep in, let them. And sneak some early morning miles in. That way you get the best of both worlds, training AND family.
5. Fuel - water, water, water, REAL natural food.
6. Join a friend, or friends. Regular training partners are a great motivator and help you stick to your word. No one likes letting a friend down.
7. Bike buddies are key, swim squads are key and running clubs are key
8. Sneaky lunchtime runs can be a great cross training balance. And cheap, quick one at that.
9. Prepare for your day of training. Get your gear ready the night or even a few nights before.
10. ABOVE ALL!!! Your family and friends are a part of your team, if you don't have them, it's a long, lonely, unhappy trail. So remember to give to them as they give to you.
Tony Keith is currently training for the Xterra World Championship in Hawaii this October. His steed of choice for the bike section is Niner's RKT 9 RDO.